Handling and loading are two aspects of packing. Improper handling can result in detrimental defects to the products. Typically, the extent of damage can be under the following classifications -
A. Denting or ovalling - The use of inappropriate support systems can cause denting or ovalling. Another cause could also be accumulating the pipes to an excessive height.
B. Fatigue cracking - Cracks during transportation are common due to the occurrence of vertical vibration, as a consequence of extreme latent and cyclic loads.
C. End damage - The damage of pipe ends occurs mainly for two reasons. They include either rough handling or the use of improper end hooks for lifting, causing the pipe end to become damaged.
D. Abrasion or scratching - Another common sign of damage is the occurrence of either abrasion or scratching, which is a cause of several pipe walls getting rubbed or abraded or struck against other products.
The handling of steel pipes envelopes, four parameters such as hooks, lifting, bevel protection, and storage. The use of improper means of treatment can cause damage to these pipes.
- Hook - The design of a hook is such that prevention or elimination of pipe end damage is a possibility. Therefore, they are often available with rubber lining. If they are too short, the hooks may not be able to hold the pipe carefully, whereas long claws could damage the pipe's surface. Hence, the selection of appropriate hooks incorporates both sufficient width and depth that fits the inside of a pipeline.
- Lifting - Pipe ends, or the body is prone to local denting or out-of-roundness, which is a cause of an impact load. The prevention of impact loads is possible by using appropriate lifting mechanisms.
- Storage - An integral part of treatment is how it is stored. Manufacturers need to ensure that the products remain flat, and free of protrusions while stacking the pipes. The use of bearing strips for a consistent level load distribution is crucial for safe and appropriate handling.
- Outdoor Storage : If the storage for a pipe is outdoors, the prescription of supplementary procedures is to be in order. For example - The application of a desiccant package or phase inhibitor pads on the interior joints of every pipe or the use of plastic covering or a spray with oilcloths, which offers protection from the rain. However, there could be an occurrence of sweating condensation in case of inadequate airflow under the covers.
- Bevel protecting - Loose or missing Bevel protectors are unacceptable during the transportation of products. Ensuring reattachment of all loose or missing protectors to all pipe ends is a must.
Optimized appropriate handling by the following measures are acceptable -
- The use of nylon straps to handle singular pipes at a time.
- Prevention of local hardened spots on the surface is possible if the pipes do not bang each other during contact.
- Restrict the use of end hook to lift pipes and the use of wire rope slings to lift pipe bundles.
Various methods that find merit in the arrangement of steel covers some basic principles. These principles include - prevention of rusting or corrosion, secure transportation - without the occurrence of any damage.
Basic rules suggested for packing are as follows -
- The use of plastic caps at both the terminals of the pipes; plastic caps not only protect the internal threading if present but also prevent the pipe ends from getting damaged.
- Avoidance of steel straps during transportation is something to be desired. Steel straps could leave marks or indentations on the surface of pipes, particularly during transit.
- Conveyance of products is a time that requires special consideration; this is because frequently, it is during transportation that the products get damaged.
- The sign for bundling needs to be equal as well as consistent. Ideally, components that belong to the same batch must arrive from the same furnace.
- The next point leads us to traceability. In several industries, tracking a part is extremely important. There are chances of a pipe or multiple pipes having defects from the same batch. In this instance, the supplier can trace the pipes to pool them together for inspection. Therefore, identification markers including, steel grade - furnace number, and the specifications are considered mandatory by the best industrial practices.